The Dow Jones industrial average rose 28 points, or 0.2 per cent, to finish at 16,943 Friday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose two points, or 0.2 per cent, to 1,967. The Nasdaq composite rose 19 points, or 0.4 per cent, to 4,415.
The S&P 500 index had its biggest weekly loss since April after closing out the previous week at a record high. It ended down 0.9 per cent.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.52 per cent.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype