The Dow Jones industrial average rose 28 points, or 0.2 per cent, to finish at 16,943 Friday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose two points, or 0.2 per cent, to 1,967. The Nasdaq composite rose 19 points, or 0.4 per cent, to 4,415.
The S&P 500 index had its biggest weekly loss since April after closing out the previous week at a record high. It ended down 0.9 per cent.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.52 per cent.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Boehner Says Impeachment Talk Is Democrat Scam
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- You're So Vain: Microsoft to Launch First 'Selfie Phone'
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya