The choppy trading on
Most of the major sectors are showing only modest moves in mid-day trading, contributing to the lack of direction being shown by the broader markets.
Gold stocks are seeing some strength on the day, however, with the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index up by 1.1%. The index is regaining some ground after tumbling by 1.8% on Thursday.
The rebound by gold stocks comes despite a modest decrease by the price of the precious metal, as gold for August delivery is slipping
Meanwhile, natural gas stocks have moved to the downside on the day, dragging the NYSE Arca Natural Gas Index down by 1%. With the loss, the index has fallen to its lowest intraday level in almost a month.
Oil service stocks are also seeing notable weakness in mid-day trading, moving lower along with the price of crude oil.
Currently, the major averages continue to turn in a mixed performance. While the Nasdaq is up 4.63 points or 0.1% at 4,400.84, the Dow is down 29.67 points or 0.2% at 16,885.40 and the S&P 500 is down 2.34 points or 0.1% at 1,962.34.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan