Despite the strength shown by the broader markets at the close, most of the major sectors ended the day showing only modest moves.
Gold stocks saw considerable strength on the day, however, with the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index jumping by 2.4%. The index offset the steep loss posted in the previous session to reach a nearly four-month closing high.
The rebound by gold stocks came despite a modest decrease by the price of the precious metal, as gold for August delivery slid
Biotechnology, internet, and airline stocks also saw notable strength on the day, while significant weakness was visible among natural gas stocks.
The major averages closed modestly higher, near their best levels of the day. The Dow rose 28.74 points or 0.2% to 16,943.81, the Nasdaq climbed 19.29 points or 0.4% to 4,415.49 and the S&P 500 edged up 2.89 points or 0.2% to 1,967.57.
Despite the gains on the day, the major averages all moved lower for the week. The Nasdaq tumbled by 1.6%, while the Dow and the S&P 500 dropped by 0.7% and 0.9%, respectively.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Utah Hosts US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Meeting
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo