Despite the strength shown by the broader markets at the close, most of the major sectors ended the day showing only modest moves.
Gold stocks saw considerable strength on the day, however, with the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index jumping by 2.4%. The index offset the steep loss posted in the previous session to reach a nearly four-month closing high.
The rebound by gold stocks came despite a modest decrease by the price of the precious metal, as gold for August delivery slid
Biotechnology, internet, and airline stocks also saw notable strength on the day, while significant weakness was visible among natural gas stocks.
The major averages closed modestly higher, near their best levels of the day. The Dow rose 28.74 points or 0.2% to 16,943.81, the Nasdaq climbed 19.29 points or 0.4% to 4,415.49 and the S&P 500 edged up 2.89 points or 0.2% to 1,967.57.
Despite the gains on the day, the major averages all moved lower for the week. The Nasdaq tumbled by 1.6%, while the Dow and the S&P 500 dropped by 0.7% and 0.9%, respectively.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Cantwell Targets Gender Gap in Small-Business Loans
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Josh Gordon Loses Appeal, Out for Season
- Pending Home Sales in U.S. Rise in Hopeful Sign
- Visual Search Sounds Cool, Remains Elusive
- Texans Look for Perry-Cruz Showdown in 2016
- Chrysler Gets Nod as a Top Employer for Hispanic Women