"These pieces of legislation will help to give students more and better information when considering and financing college," said Rep.
The three bills passed through committee today begin to improve transparency in college costs, strengthen financial counseling for students and parents, and explore innovative ways of measuring completion of coursework, which reduce college costs and shorten time to degree.
* The Strengthening Transparency in Higher Education Act (H.R. 4983) creates a new "College Dashboard," a tool for students to decide for themselves if a college has a good track record and is right for them. The dashboard will provide students and their families helpful information about each college, including: enrollment numbers, completion data for full-time and part-time students, net cost of attendance, average student loan debt and repayment rates, and transparency on the school's use of adjunct faculty. Democrats successfully fought to strengthen H.R. 4983 by including language to ensure that schools are being transparent about their reliance and treatment of adjunct faculty. This information is an important first step towards addressing the unfair treatment of many adjunct faculty.
* The Empowering Students Through Enhanced Financial Counseling Act (H.R. 4984) strengthens financial counseling for students and their families to better understand the economics of taking on student debt before they sign up for a loan.
* The Advancing Competency-Based Education Demonstration Project Act (H.R. 3136) will provide students new opportunities to complete their education in ways that best serves their personal and financial needs.
With nearly 40 million Americans struggling to repay
"This country is facing a student loan crisis, and these bills, unfortunately, fail to address the needs of students and families already facing a mountain of student debt," said Rep. Miller.
"My amendment today was based on legislation that I filed with Senator
Despite the failure of the Tierney amendment, Rep. Miller called on
"With few legislative days left in this
TNS 30FurigayJof-140711-4794606 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- House Votes to Sue Obama
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Exxon Profit Rises, Production Drops