Eight thousand illuminated balloons will trace the route of the Berlin Wall in observance of the 25th anniversary of its fall.
The design of the 15-kilometer (nine mile) art installation, called "Lichtgrenze" or "light border," was unveiled Thursday by the
"On this day,
"We place ourselves in solidarity with those who have raised their voices for freedom, democracy, and human rights back then as well as now," Belin Mayor Klaus Wowereit added. "We take a look at the contemporary world in which
The Berlin Wall was a barrier of concrete, barbed wire and guard towers that separated West and East Berlin from 1961 to its demolition in 1989.
The balloon project will cost about
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers