Renewed concerns about the financial situation in
News that the parent company of
Additionally, the futures saw further downside following the release of a report from the
The report said initial jobless claims fell to 304,000, a decrease of 11,000 from the previous week's unrevised level of 315,000.
The modest decrease came as a surprise to economists, who had expected claims to come in unchanged compared to the previous week.
While the data represents another upbeat sign for the labor market following last week's strong monthly jobs report, traders seem increasingly concerned about the prospect of higher interest rates.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July