Renewed concerns about the financial situation in
News that the parent company of
Additionally, the futures saw further downside following the release of a report from the
The report said initial jobless claims fell to 304,000, a decrease of 11,000 from the previous week's unrevised level of 315,000.
The modest decrease came as a surprise to economists, who had expected claims to come in unchanged compared to the previous week.
While the data represents another upbeat sign for the labor market following last week's strong monthly jobs report, traders seem increasingly concerned about the prospect of higher interest rates.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Rocket Explodes During U.S. Test Flight
- Koch Brothers Took Genes, Money in Different Directions
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records