The Central Bank of
However, the regulator has fixed a
According to the latest revised guidelines for finance companies in
It also stated that finance companies would be permitted to participate in accessing and disbursing funds to small and medium scale enterprises via relevant vehicles/ intervention funds set up by the central bank, government or other relevant bodies/ agencies.
The central bank however noted that some of the factors that could lead to the withdrawal of an operator's licence may be as a result of the submission of false information/data during and/or after the processing of the application for licence or engaging in functions or activities outside the scope of its licence.
The board of directors of finance companies is expected to have a minimum of five and maximum of nine directors, with more than fifty per cent of the board of directors comprising of non-executive directors.
"The Board shall have a minimum of one and a maximum of two independent directors. The tenure of the CEO and directors of Finance Companies shall be limited to a maximum of two terms of five years each," it added.
Speaking on the sidelines of a meeting with operators of finance houses in the country in
"For us in the CBN, we are interested in having OFIs that would be able to service SMEs and provide access to finance to businesses so as to grow the economy.
"The CBN governor has said that he wants to have a people-centred central bank. He has emphasised job creation and businesses having access to finance and so all the institutions under the regulation of the CBN are supposed to be strong to perform that function," he added.
Continuing, the revised guidelines stated that every
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Chrysler Gets Nod as a Top Employer for Hispanic Women
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Set Pace in Florida
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Laid-off Workers Return to Their Fields
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?