ENP Newswire -
Release date- 30062014 -
'This is a great day in the history of the SBIRS program,' said Col.
'The magnitude of the savings is remarkable and directly attributable to the hard work and dedication of the combined
SBIRS is the next-generation strategic missile-warning system replacing the 1970s Defense Support Program constellation. SBIRS delivers global, overhead, persistent, task able 24/7 infrared surveillance capabilities to meet 21st century demands for early warning of missile launches, while simultaneously supporting other critical missions including missile defense, technical intelligence and battle space awareness.
The SBIRS objective constellation consists of four GEO satellites, two highly elliptical earth orbit payloads, and associated ground infrastructure. The fifth and sixth satellites will replenish on-orbit satellites in the constellation in order to maintain the required operational mission capabilities.
The SBIRS program is led by the
AFSPC's Space and Missile Systems Center, located at Los Angeles AFB, Calif., is the
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Intruder Gets into White House
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton