Sarkozy Detained for Questioning in Campaign Finance Case
Former French president
French media say it is the first time a French former head of state has been detained for questioning.
Sarkozy turned himself in Tuesday at a police station in the
Investigators are acting on evidence collected after tapping Sarkozy's phone lines.
Sarkozy has denied any wrongdoing in the case, which is one of several against him that may affect any future run at a return to office. After losing to current president Francois Hollande in 2012, Sarkozy has indicated he may mount another presidential campaign.
Some information for this report was provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July