The tales and talk of betting fly as thick and fast as the runs that roll off the bat during the IPL season. While the feverish chatter in inner circles of betting would earlier lead cops to punters' dens, this time around the air was tense with an eerie silence that left law-enforcers to sniff for clues of an underground network that they're now trying hard to crack.
Hooked to the high that naturally comes with the whiff of tens of crores of Rupees, punters have devised an ingenious way of keeping cops at bay while they roll in high numbers, informed a cop.
The "new approach" has been made possible by smartphones and changing technology.
Till now, bookies kept records in registers and contacting betters on phones. The bookies also kept electronic items like TV and several mobile phones to keep a tab on the game.
Now, bookies are using a new software on their smartphones which connects betters on the web and the entire operation can be carried out with just one device. Online betting also allows bookies to get bets from across the state.
"A new software has been doing the rounds in the market which is sold at a great price to buyers. The software enables bookies to reach out to betters and place bets. The betting rates are provided on the spot and bets are placed instantly. Moreover, the software even helps calculate the wins and losses per better. Earlier, this in itself meant a lot of work for bookies," police sources said.
Eliminating the use of multiple phones has limited the chances of police catching bookies through cellphones. "One phone can be used to connect to many betters and since it is mobile, bookies and betters just have to just stay within the network area," police said.
Credit:Kartikey Dev Singh
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- Is Alibaba's IPO Price a Fairytale?
- Kardashian: Kanye Never Told Fan in Wheelchair to Stand Up
- U.S. Tobacco Growers Lose Last of Price Supports
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- CalPERS Pulls Out of Hedge Funds
- California King Fire Roars Out of Control
- Los Angeles Angels Clinch Playoff Spot
- Sanctions Push Russian Ruble to Historic Low
- Scottish Leaders Scramble for Votes on Independence