KEEPING SCORE: A half hour before the market opened, Dow Jones industrial average futures slipped 13 points, or 0.1 percent, to 16,919.
Standard & Poor's 500 index futures fell two points, or 0.1 percent, to 1,947 while Nasdaq 100 futures sank three points, or 0.1 percent, to 3,796.
On Friday, the S&P 500 index notched another record high, its eighth in 10 trading days. The index notched its third straight week of solid gains.
ICAHN: In a regulatory filing on Friday,
MERGER MONDAY: Merck announced a deal to buy
BONDS AND COMMODS: In the market for U.S. government bonds, the yield on the 10-year Treasury inched up to 2.60 percent from 2.59 percent late Friday. Yields rise when bond prices fall. The price of oil rose
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- Deere Announces New Round of Layoffs
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009