Currently, the major averages are posting modest gains. The Dow is up 21.76 points or 0.1% at 16,946.04, the Nasdaq is up 2.47 points or 0.1% at 4,323.87 and the S&P 500 is up 1.71 points or 0.1% at 1,951.15.
The choppy trading on
While recent economic data suggests that the US economy has recovered from the winter doldrums, traders have expressed some uncertainty about whether the pace of growth supports further upside for the markets.
A lack of major US economic data on the day is also contributing to the lackluster performance, although key reports on retail sales, producer prices, and consumer sentiment are due to be released later in the week.
Nonetheless, some positive sentiment may have been generated by upbeat economic data from
A report from
Most of the major sectors are showing only modest moves, however, although some strength has emerged among housing and banking stocks.
Among individual stocks, shares of
On the other hand, shares of
In overseas trading, stock markets across the
Meanwhile, the major European markets are turning in a mixed performance on the day. While the French CAC 40 Index has edged down by 0.1%, the
In the bond market, treasuries are seeing modest weakness, extending a recent downward trend. As a result, the yield on the benchmark ten-year note, which moves opposite of its price, is up by 2.3 basis points at 2.62%.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Detroit Muslim Conference Stirs Controversy
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Immigration Delay Throws Both Parties a Curve
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)