The 43-year-old actor and the "Let It Go" singer were married for ten years before they separated in
"I'd be lying if I said there weren't times when I thought, 'Oh man, people are going to trip out [if we split],'" the actor tells the magazine. "Maybe they thought it was cute that we met in Rent."
"There weren't a lot of couples like us in the theater community," he continues. "And I know there aren't a lot of performers as talented as she is... and then you have the whole mixed [race] thing. It was easy for people to root for us. Right now, we're still trying to figure out a lot of stuff because we're on different coasts and our son is getting older."
Diggs and Menzel have one child together from their marriage, 4-year-old son
"And just the vulnerability," he adds. "It's weird: You can do whatever with your own life, but when it comes to someone else's, who is your blood, it's a level of vulnerability that I wasn't -- that I'm still not -- prepared for."
Diggs stars as homicide detective
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- What Hamas and Israel Hope to Gain in Gaza
- Notorious RBG Tells All in Couric Interview
- Why Samsung Shares Plunged in the April-June Quarter
- House GOP Leaders Abandon Immigrant Bill
- NASA Plans to Make Oxygen on Mars
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Voter IDs Must Be Free
- Market Loses All of July's Gains in One Day