The choppy trading on
While recent economic data suggests that the US economy has recovered from the winter doldrums, traders have expressed some uncertainty about whether the pace of growth supports further upside for the markets.
A lack of major US economic data on the day is also contributing to the lackluster performance, although key reports on retail sales, producer prices, and consumer sentiment are due to be released later in the week.
Most of the major sectors are showing only modest moves, although some strength has emerged among housing and banking stocks.
Currently, the major averages are posting modest gains. The Dow is up 21.76 points or 0.1% at 16,946.04, the Nasdaq is up 2.47 points or 0.1% at 4,323.87 and the S&P 500 is up 1.71 points or 0.1% at 1,951.15.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Detroit Muslim Conference Stirs Controversy
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Immigration Delay Throws Both Parties a Curve
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)