More than 300,000 people from the flood prone region of East Demerara will benefit from reduced flooding and climate risks as a result of a US
Nearly 90% of
Specifically, the project will:
-Upgrade critical sections of the
-Improve drainage capacity in priority areas along the East Demerara coast.
-Increase flood preparedness by installing instruments to monitor hydro-meteorological data.
The second project approved for US
These 2 credits aim at reducing poverty and providing opportunities for all Guyanese by reducing vulnerability to climate change and ensuring quality secondary education.
About 85% of young Guyanese are enrolled in secondary education.
Among concrete results to be achieved by the project are:
-2,600 new students from vulnerable areas enrolled in general secondary
-A pilot technology-assisted learning in mathematics
-600 secondary mathematics teachers trained, mathematics standards for secondary school teachers increased, and math kits distributed to 250 secondary schools.
These IDA credits to the Government of
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million