"This financing, the first of its type, has its origin in the broad relationship that Santander has in Spain with the EIB for financing" small- and mid-sized businesses, Banco Santander Mexico said in a statement.
The EIB is looking to support other Santander units in
The funds will be used to back nearly 1,000 Mexican small- and mid-sized businesses with different types of credit products, Banco Santander Mexico said.
Small- and mid-sized businesses account for 99 percent of the enterprises, 52 percent of the gross domestic product and 72 percent of the jobs in
Lending to small- and mid-sized businesses grew 29 percent in the first quarter of this year, accounting for 11 percent of all loans, the bank said.
Banco Santander Mexico counts about 60,000 small- and mid-sized business enterprises employing nearly 380,000 people as its customers across the country.
The EIB provides financing within the
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment