Once a star of the intensely competitive smartphone sector,
It quickly built up a loyal following as the first to use
In the first quarter of this year, it posted a net loss of Tw$1.88 billion (
Now, though, there is a much-needed buzz around the brand once more, following the launch of the HTC One M8 handset in March."It's a mix of being genuinely functional, but also a real statement device," said
"Something like the M8 is a real stand-out on the shelf."
Reviewers and consumers have praised the M8 for its high-quality design, with a brushed aluminium case, as well as powerful speakers and a dual-lens camera for special effects on photos.
The look and feel of HTC's on-screen menu system were previously criticised as over-complicated, but the M8 has improved the interface, says Healey.
Respected tech news site The Register described it as the "Alfa Romeo" of the smartphone world. HTC would not comment on sales figures for the M8, but says it expects to swing back into profitability in the next quarterly results, doubling its revenues in the three months to June.
"We believe that we are on course for a strong 2014," said chief executive
There was also a hint at a new collaboration with
"The M8 is selling fast across global markets,"
Leaf out of Apple
"In terms of the build quality and the materials this is the most sophisticated phone on the market."
HTC took a leaf out of Apple's book by ensuring that the device was immediately available to consumers after its media launch in
Remedial action was urgently needed after HTC's global market share slumped from 8.8 per cent in 2011 to 4.6 per cent in 2012, according to data from market researchers IDC. (AFP)
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 to Settle SEC Charges
- Menendez: No Arms for Iraq Without Intel