The global energy sector is among the top five most-targeted industries by cyber-criminals, according to the 2014 Cisco Annual Security Report.
Speaking ahead of the GISEC security expo this week, the vendor said that the energy sector faces a malware encounter rate that is 300% higher than the median industry.
Much of these risks are being driven by the sector's use of the Internet of Everything, with oil & gas firms in particular using technology to connect global operations, automate dangerous tasks, and manage complex supply chains,
"Malware can cripple an energy company's IT infrastructure and halt business operations, and potentially disrupt the world's energy supplies."
"Delivering vital cyber-security solutions to the energy sector enhances our support to ensure that global energy supplies remain in safe hands."
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Detroit Muslim Conference Stirs Controversy
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Immigration Delay Throws Both Parties a Curve
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)