"Free Wi-Fi has been a top priority for us and I'm pleased that we are now able to offer this important benefit to our customers," said Mayor
The lack of free Wi-Fi put our airport at a competitive disadvantage and it was the number one complaint we would receive from our customers, said Interim General Manager
The total cost of the installation was
Providing free Wi-Fi in the world s busiest airport is essential and will provide an improved level of convenience for our visitors, said
Below is a list of some of the new infrastructure s technical specifics:
Capacity The Wi-Fi system can now handle 15,000 simultaneous users. This is an increase from 2,000 simultaneous users.
Available Speed User can access the Internet at download speeds at a minimum of 5 Megabits/second and upload speeds of 1 Megabits/second. The previous configuration allowed for download speeds of 2 Megabits/second and upload speeds of 1 Megabits/second.
Enhanced Technology The new access points provide connectivity for the new wireless technology, 802.11 AC. The old Wi-Fi system only supported 802.11 G. 802.11 AC devices can communicate to the Access Points at Gigabit speeds; whereas, the old technology s limitation was 54 Megabits/second.
High Density New access points can accommodate 200 simultaneous connections. Old access points could only handle 15 to 18 simultaneous connections.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs
- Fighting Blocks Investigators, Police From MH17 Crash Site
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply