The bill signed Friday morning seeks to form a network of uninsured cooperatives designed to give pot businesses a way to access basic banking services.
Banks that fear violating federal law don't allow marijuana businesses access to basic financial services. That has led to fears that the burgeoning marijuana industry can be a target for robberies.
The legislation would allow pot businesses to pool money in cooperatives. However, that will only happen with the blessing of the U.S. Federal Reserve. That has prompted some to argue the legislation could be only symbolic.
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Senate, House Locking Horns on Border Funds
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast