The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,936 as of
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 77 points, or 0.5 percent, to 16,815. The Nasdaq composite increased 26 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,278.
The ECB cut two key interest rates Thursday in an effort to get that region's economy growing faster and banks lending more. European markets closed higher.
In the U.S.,
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.58 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- What Hamas and Israel Hope to Gain in Gaza
- WWE Showing Off Its Muscles
- As Jobs Market Strengthens, Many Don't Feel It
- Target Taps Pepsi Exec as New CEO
- NASA Plans to Make Oxygen on Mars
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation
- Notorious RBG Tells All in Couric Interview
- Why Samsung Shares Plunged in the April-June Quarter