The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,936 as of
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 77 points, or 0.5 percent, to 16,815. The Nasdaq composite increased 26 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,278.
The ECB cut two key interest rates Thursday in an effort to get that region's economy growing faster and banks lending more. European markets closed higher.
In the U.S.,
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.58 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Democrats' Control of Senate Could Depend on Women