The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,936 as of
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 77 points, or 0.5 percent, to 16,815. The Nasdaq composite increased 26 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,278.
The ECB cut two key interest rates Thursday in an effort to get that region's economy growing faster and banks lending more. European markets closed higher.
In the U.S.,
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 2.58 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- Social Media Startups That Pay You to Post
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland