As part of the settlement, the directors have each provided FMA with an enforceable undertaking that they will not, without the prior written approval of FMA:
1. act as a director or promoter of a public issuer of securities for five years; or
2. accept appointment or employment or act as a Chief Executive Officer or Chief Financial Officer (or equivalent position) of a public issuer of securities for three years.
These undertakings are provided under s46 of the Financial Markets Authority Act 2011 and are available on FMA's website.
The directors who were the subject of FMA's claim and who have provided undertakings are
Separately, the Receivers have pursued claims against the directors, including under the Companies Act 1993, and against the auditors in respect of the
"In reaching this settlement we are providing certainty and compensation to investors. We have also been mindful of avoiding a lengthy and costly court case, with potential litigation risk. The terms of the settlement deliver a strong deterrence message and include enforceable undertakings from the directors of Strategic not to act as a director of an issuer of securities to the public for 5 years," said FMA Director of Enforcement and Investigations,
"While the directors do not admit liability, FMA remains of the view that they are likely to have breached their disclosure obligations under the Securities Act.
"However, given the limited personal assets of the directors, this settlement represents the best outcome for investors in the circumstances," said Ms Moffat.
The settlement resolves all claims as between FMA, the Receivers, liquidators, trustees, directors and auditors. The settlement sum will be paid over the next 6 months to the Receivers, who will distribute funds to investors in the same manner that the Receivers will distribute proceeds from the realisation of assets in the receivership. While this was a lengthy and complex process it is noted that the directors co-operated with FMA's investigation.
A copy of the Enforceable Undertakings can be found here[http://www.fma.govt.nz/laws-we-enforce/enforcement/enforceable-undertakings/enforceable-undertaking-from-strategic-finance-directors/].
CC AutoTriage1pm-140605-30TagarumaMar-4757857 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go