"There are basically two different reasons that 'bigger is better' for screen size: utilitarian reasons and affective, or emotional, reasons,"
"There are so many things on smartphones that we can use, but an even more powerful factor of the larger screen is its hedonic aspect-how attractive and pleasing it is to users," he said.
People may find bigger screens more emotionally satisfying because they are using smartphones for entertainment, as well as for communication purposes.
"The screen size has increased the bandwidth of user interactions on smartphones, making it more than a talking-texting device," Sundar said.
"With high definition screens, people now can watch television and movies, as well as multi-task, something that wasn't possible in earlier smartphone versions," he said.
The desire for larger screens that drives purchases of other entertainment devices may be part of the impulse to buy smartphones with larger screens,
Most Popular Stories
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- DishLATINO Wins Hispanic TV Award
- Judge Orders Kurdistan Oil Seized
- Twitter's Stock Rises on Stellar Revenues
- Ebola Outbreak Strikes Fear in Minnesota
- Beyonce Seen Apartment Shopping in NYC Without Jay Z
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?
- U.S. Consumer Confidence at Strongest Since 2007
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow for 6th Month in a Row