Some of the entertainment industry's biggest Hispanic stars will be part of the National Association of Latino Independent Producers conference starting Thursday in Los Angeles.
Academy Award nominated actor Andy Garcia will receive the media summit's "Lifetime Achievement Award," while actor Wilmer Valderrama and showrunner Carlos Coto are keynote speakers at the four-day conference set for the Sheraton Universal Hotel in Universal City.
Now in its 15th year, NALIP's media summit brings together top-level Latino industry professionals and content creators to examine new trends in media making, development, distribution and production. Filmmakers Jimmy Mendiola ("Pretty Vacant") and Alex Rivera ("Sleep Dealer") are serving as the event's co-chairs.
Entertainers and industry executives expected to participate include:
--Eva Longoria's documentary "Food Chains" that reveals the abuse of farm laborers will be screened with question-and-answer session with the film's directors and producers.
--Feature producer and founding partner of Canana Film Pablo Cruz is the keynote speaker at the conference on Friday and will be joined by Maker Studio's executive producer Alejandro Trevino.
--Mr. Valderrama will deliver the keynote lunch speech on Saturday and will be joined by Mr. Coto of El Rey Network's "From Dusk 'Till Dawn: The Series."
--In addition to Mr. Garcia receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award from NALIP, Raul Castillo from HBO's "Looking" will be awarded the Lupe Award. Media entrepreneur Emilio Nicolas is receiving the Pioneer Award and Pantelion Films is receiving the Outstanding Achievement Award for the advancement of positive Hispanic images in the media.
The conference will also be hosting digital panels featuring producers, writers and executives from Crackle, YouTube and Netflix.
For more information on the conference, visit www.nalipmediasummit.com.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists