Zendaya Coleman has explained why she left a new movie about Aaliyah.
The 17-year-old actress was slated to portray the late singer in an upcoming Lifetime biopic. The network announced her departure on Sunday, and Coleman addressed the topic at the BET Awards later that evening.
"I just felt the project wasn't 100 percent there. I feel [that] production-wise everything just felt a little rushed," she told
"By all means, when the right project comes along and it's done the right way I'll be the first person ready to play Aaliyah," she shared. "This wasn't the right one for me. I've been into Aaliyah since I was little, so there wasn't too much getting into character. I always pretend I'm her anyway."
Aaliyah died in a plane crash at age 22 in 2001. The singer's family is reportedly opposed to the Lifetime movie, and envisions the biopic as a big screen film.
"We want a major studio release along the lines of What's Love Got to Do with It, the Tina Turner movie," cousin
Most Popular Stories
- Illegal Immigration Near Historic Low, Despite What You May Have Heard
- Small-Business Loans Fueling Economic Growth
- Ford: New F-150 Is No Lightweight
- Gasoline Costs Drive Consumer Price Increases
- Saudi Arabia Will Open Stock Market to Foreigners
- Durbin Drubs Walgreen for Possible Tax Dodge
- Tesco Head Steps Down After Profit Warning
- Russians Fed Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories
- Want a Job? Try Minneapolis
- Comic-Con Offers Toy Designers a Chance to Go Wild