GDP figures out
Canadian stocks looked set to start a short week lower as investors digested the country's second-quarter growth data.
The S&P/TSX composite index gained 63.51 points to end the week at 15,094.25. June futures were down 0.15 percent Monday morning.
The Canadian dollar skidded
Markets are shuttered Tuesday for
Thomson Reuters is revising its foreign exchange trading rules, the company said, following consultations with market participants.
Barclays raised the rating on Canadian National Railway to overweight
On the economic slate, Statistics Canada reported this morning that gross domestic product grew 0.1% in April, the same pace as in March. The output of service industries increased 0.3%, while the output of goods-producing industries declined 0.3%.
Monday is the final trading day of the first half of 2014 and it's shaping up to be quite eventful.
Ahead of the opening bell, futures for the Dow Jones Industrials dipped six points to 16,751. Futures for the S&P 500 ducked back 0.6 points to 1,951.40, and futures for the NASDAQ nicked ahead two points to 3,833.50.
Facebook is in hot water after people learned the company conducted a 'mood' experiment on users without their knowledge or explicit consent.
The study found that users who were shown more negative content in their News Feeds were slightly more likely to produce negative posts. Facebook's terms of service give the company permission to conduct this kind of research, but many users have reacted with anger. Facebook shares were down slightly ahead of the open.
In pre-market trading, the main stock making waves was Yahoo. Shares in the online service were rising by 2%. The company owns a large stake in the highly successful Chinese e-retailer
European markets were mixed in midday trading. Asian markets ended mixed. The main loser of the day was
Oil prices fell
Gold prices gave back
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go