Gold prices jumped 6.1% for the month, while recording a gain of 3% for the quarter ended June.
In economic news, a
Elsewhere, some disappointing German retail sales data raised expectations of further monetary easing from the
Eurozone inflation remained unchanged at a very low level in June, which may prompt the central bank to undertake more actions to calm fears of deflation and kick start the flattening recovery.
Gold for August delivery, the most actively traded contract, gained
Gold for August delivery scaled an intraday high of
On Friday, gold futures ended higher as the dollar trended lower, although gains were limited on concerns over the ongoing violence in
The dollar index, which tracks the US unit against six major currencies, traded at 79.79 on Monday, down from its previous close of 80.02 late Friday in North American trade. The dollar scaled a high of 80.09 intraday and a low of 79.76.
The euro traded higher against the dollar at
In economic news from the US, a
Meanwhile, MNI said its
German retail sales fell unexpectedly in May, data from the country's statistics office showed Monday. Sales on the month decreased by 0.6% in May in adjusted terms.
Eurozone inflation remained stable at 0.5% in June, flash estimate from Eurostat showed Monday. It was forecast to rise slightly to 0.6%.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say