Gold prices jumped 6.1% for the month, while recording a gain of 3% for the quarter ended June.
In economic news, a
Elsewhere, some disappointing German retail sales data raised expectations of further monetary easing from the
Eurozone inflation remained unchanged at a very low level in June, which may prompt the central bank to undertake more actions to calm fears of deflation and kick start the flattening recovery.
Gold for August delivery, the most actively traded contract, gained
Gold for August delivery scaled an intraday high of
On Friday, gold futures ended higher as the dollar trended lower, although gains were limited on concerns over the ongoing violence in
The dollar index, which tracks the US unit against six major currencies, traded at 79.79 on Monday, down from its previous close of 80.02 late Friday in North American trade. The dollar scaled a high of 80.09 intraday and a low of 79.76.
The euro traded higher against the dollar at
In economic news from the US, a
Meanwhile, MNI said its
German retail sales fell unexpectedly in May, data from the country's statistics office showed Monday. Sales on the month decreased by 0.6% in May in adjusted terms.
Eurozone inflation remained stable at 0.5% in June, flash estimate from Eurostat showed Monday. It was forecast to rise slightly to 0.6%.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- California Passes First US Statewide Bag Ban
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Buyer's Remorse on Common Core for Policymakers?
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- American Airlines Back on Obitz
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps