Auto ABS recovery rates were stable over the first five months of the year and continue to be supported by the ongoing strength in wholesale vehicle values in May, which were 5% above a year earlier despite rising supply coming into the market this year.
Prime 60+ day delinquencies crept 7% higher in May to 0.30% on a monthly basis but are within 2013 levels (just 3.4% higher). Annualized net losses (ANL) were virtually unchanged at 0.24% in May versus 0.22% in April. The rate was elevated versus
The subprime sector posted solid results in May as losses came down while delinquencies stayed relatively stable. 60+ day delinquencies ticked up to 2.67% in May over April and were 3% below the rate in
Solid consumer demand, low interest rates, stable vehicle incentive levels and healthy new vehicle pricing all combined to support wholesale values in May. Manufacturers appear to be conscious of over production in 2014 and staying in step with consumer demand for autos, which Fitch views as a positive seeing as used vehicle supply rise in 2014 over 2013 levels.
Solid new vehicle pricing combined with flat incentive spending in May had a positive knock-on effect on used vehicle values. This is a sign of consumers still looking for bargains in the market and thus looking to cheaper used vehicles. Used vehicle sales in 2014 have risen over 2013 levels and may be on track for a record this year, according to
Ratings performance in 2014 is easily outpacing that of 2013. Fitch issued 36 upgrades through early late June this year, double the rate 18 in 2013. The rating outlook for the prime sector is positive for 2014, and Fitch expects positive rating actions to continue throughout the year.
Fitch's indices track the performance of
Additional information is available at 'www.fitchratings.com'.
Source: Fitch Ratings
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Zillow in Reported $2B Bid for Real Estate Rival Trulia
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Amazon Hiring on Calif.'s Central Coast