It made a pre-tax profit of £2.87bn, but paid corporation taxes of £1.56bn across the world.
British taxes were only a small proportion of that - it reported profits of £4.87bn in the
When taxes, including national insurance and VAT, are included, its total contribution to state coffers in the
"Corporation tax payable in any given year rarely relates directly to the profits earned in the same 12 months," it said, to explain the small bill.
"This is because tax on profits is paid across multiple years."
The bank has published its tax bills by country for the first time, showing the biggest corporation tax bill is in
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Russia Claims Ukraine Leaders Are Satanists, Jews or Maybe Even Scientologists
- Bob Marley Musical to Make Premiere in Baltimore
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Eric Holder Bringing Civil Rights Reminders to Ferguson
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan