This is fascinating, I think - although as much for what it does not tell us as what it does. It is a gallery from the photographers
The characters range from the wife of a Masai chief, who eats 800 calories a day, to a truck driver in
What is odd, however, is the variation in the calorie content of people's diets. It's hard to figure out why some people are not much fatter and others much thinner than they appear to be. But maybe not all of them are pictured on a typical day. And I can't help remembering all those studies that have shown how people misreport what they eat and drink - either because they can't remember or because they feel somehow guilty. Our relationship with food is never less than complex.
Beware of the pop-up diet ads on this site, by the way!
Most Popular Stories
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries