The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell three points, or 0.2 percent, to 1,921 in the first few minutes of trading Tuesday.
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 44 points, or 0.3 percent, to 16,698. Visa fell the most in the Dow.
The Nasdaq composite fell seven points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,230.
On Monday, both the Dow Jones industrial average and Standard & Poor's 500 index set record highs for the second straight trading day.
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.56 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries