Despite a decent range of handsets such as the Lumia 1520,
Now the manufacturer is doubling down on the fast-growing budget smartphone segment, with the launch of its XL handset, following the launch of the X handset in the
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the word that comes to mind when reviewing the XL is "cheap", for better and for worse.
For just Dh589, you get a dual SIM Android handset with a larger- than-average screen, a 5MP flash camera that takes very acceptable pictures, and a decent enough battery life. Build quality will never match that of the 1520, but it feels comfortable and solidly crafted in the hand and is available in six colours. Built-in internal memory is only 4GB, but this can be expanded via memory card to up to 36GB.
The X and the XL are the first
Inevitably for a smartphone costing Dh589 there are several trade-offs. The XL's five-inch screen is larger than most handsets in its price bracket, however, its miserly 480 x 800 pixels mean that images and video look flat and muted.
More importantly, the XL's user interface is deeply underwhelming. The touchscreen experience feels sluggish even in comparison with other budget smartphones, with a small but noticeable lag, especially irritating when taking photos. The XL sports
These criticisms would be harsh if the XL was blazing a trail for budget smartphones. Instead, it enters a highly competitive field, where small things matter. There's much to like about the XL, especially its large screen, but if it wants to be a winner it needs to drastically improve its overall user interface.
Most Popular Stories
- Cantwell Targets Gender Gap in Small-Business Loans
- Chrysler Gets Nod as a Top Employer for Hispanic Women
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Set Pace in Florida
- Health-care Deal Aids Port Contract Talks
- FBI Probes JPMorgan Hack
- South Korea's Kia to Invest $1 Billion in Mexico
- Perry's Lawyers Try to Close Abuse Case
- Mario Lopez Inks New Clear Channel Deal
- What's the Law for Kids at Gun Ranges?
- Apple Loses Bid to Block Sales of 9 Samsung Phones