The choppy trading on
While profit taking helped to pull stocks lower at the start of trading, the major averages pared their losses following the release of a report showing a bigger than expected increase in US factory orders.
Most of the major sectors are currently showing only modest move, although notable weakness is visible among gold stocks. The NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index is down by 1.1%, with the weakness in the sector coming amid a modest decrease by the price of gold.
Railroad and software stocks are also seeing some weakness in early trading, while strength has emerged among semiconductor stocks.
Currently, the major averages are turning in a mixed performance. While the Nasdaq has inched up 1.26 points or less than a tenth of a % to 4,238.45, the Dow is down 24.34 points or 0.2% at 16,719.29 and the S&P 500 is down 1.51 points or 0.1% at 1,923.46.
Most Popular Stories
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE