The 24-year-old R&B singer is one of several surprising guests on Wednesday night's country music video awards show (
"It's really cool, man, because I've always dreamed of having my music cross boundaries and enter into different walks of life," Derulo said. "Just because you love country music doesn't mean you can't love other genres of music. So the fact that they thought of my song to be at the CMTs is unbelievable. I'm just really excited more than anything and I have my cowboy hat on deck."
CMT also has matched up John Legend with
Derulo, Bryan and FGL will perform the latter two acts' team-up "This Is How We Roll" before Derulo segues into his hit "Talk Dirty." (Organizers say there's another surprise in the show-opening performance that even Derulo is unaware of.)
And if the hitmakers have their way, the performance won't be the last time you hear a "This Is How We Roll" collaboration this summer. They'll launch a remix of the song by Derulo and "Talk Dirty" producer Wallpaper on iTunes in conjunction with the show, and everyone hopes the song captures the same pop party vibe that made FGL's "Cruise" remix with Nelly a crossover hit.
"I'm obsessed with it," Derulo said of the "This Is How We Roll" remix. "I know I'm in the thick of it, but I've listened to that song a million times, literally. I actually really, really love it. The melodies on that song are crazy and the marriage between that and bringing more of a pop flavour ... I really think it's something special. I hope that people like it half as much as I do. If people like it half as much as I do we're in good shape."
Follow AP Music Writer
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Social Media Startups That Pay You to Post
- Female Business Owners Still Face Gender Gap
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Amazon Fire Phone Improves on Familiar: Review
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana