The global forecast for the Asian markets suggests mild upside, with bargain hunting expected after upbeat economic data from
The SCI finished slightly lower on Friday as gains from the airline stocks offset a mixed performance from the industrials.
For the day, the index eased 2.17 points or 0.11 percent to finish at 2,036.51 after trading between 2,025.07 and 2,043.98 on turnover of
Among the actives,
The lead from
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 5.71 points, or less than 0.1 percent, to close at 16,851.84. The NASDAQ advanced 18.88 points, or 0.4 percent, to end at 4,397.93. The S&P 500 added 3.74 points, or 0.2 percent, to finish at 1,960.96. For the week, the Dow and S&P 500 posted a mild retreat, while the NASDAQ finished higher.
The choppy trading for most of the session reflected uncertainty about the near-term outlook for the markets following the recent move to record highs by the Dow and the S&P 500. The temptation to take some money off the table has been countered lately by fear of missing out on further upside.
On the economic front,
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July