Now it's about time to see if the All-Star forward will — and if it would be in
Free agency opens Tuesday, and it's no longer just a means for players to make their situations better. That might be
The maximum contract was long one of the true validations of players. But even the very best realize now that if a teammate also makes the max, a team risks having half the salary cap tied up in two players.
"I think it puts limitations on a team," said Jackson, the
Nowitzki seems committed to staying in
"This whole thing of him opting in for
Some players only get one chance to cash the big check, so it may be hard for
He isn't the best player available but might be the best one attainable. While James is expected to remain in
"It's a big question because there's so many things that can happen out there that we really don't know. With LeBron getting in this free agency and all this stuff, it's kind of tipsy turvy right now. We don't know what all that means," Jackson said before the NBA draft.
"But we have every confidence that Carmelo's good for what his word is, that he wants to be in
And though Jackson has said he "challenged"
"I think there's going to be things that are going to be happening in the near future in the NBA that's going to grow this league and I think monetarily it's not going to end up being an issue for us to do that," he said.
"I challenged him on that," Jackson said, "because I wanted our fans to see, you know, that he's a team player, that he was going to do what was best for this team to get ahead farther and faster."
Most Popular Stories
- Congress Passes Law Promoting Transparency Reconstruction of Haiti
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Execs Help Entrepreneurs, Get Chevy Volts
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Google Confirms $1B Acquisition of Twitch.tv
- Demand for Fair Trade Brings Big Opportunity, Clear Conscience