Developed by American technology and communications giant Apple, iBeacon is a new technology that alerts mobile-phone users to shopping promotions using small wall-mounted devices that transmit signals via Bluetooth.
It is Apple's very own version of WiFi, which has a coverage range of 70 metres.
Compared to ordinary local area wireless service that relies on the Global Positioning System, iBeacon does not lose transmission signals when indoors.
While common WiFi relies on fixed power, iBeacon uses batteries with two years of life.
My-MS chief executive officer
"The company is expected to implement the project at a fast food chain operator and a local bank this year.
"This will augur well for us as iBeacon is also due to be implemented at
Owned by Jabatan Kemajuan Islam Malaysia,
iBeacon is not intrusive to mobile-phone users as consumers need to download the application before receiving the latest advertisements and promotions from retailers.
Currently, iBeacon is only available on Apple's iOS platform for iPhone users, but will be accessible on the Android platform later this year.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Homebuilder Confidence at Highest Since January
- Parents Opt to Keep Baby Photos off Facebook
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Rising U.S. Consumer Prices Slowed Down in July
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Home Depot Builds Nice Net Income in Q2
- St. Francis Names Rodriguez as New Dean
- Mike Brown Death Timeline
- Taylor Swift is a Country Dweller No More