At Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit in
This poses a major challenge for IT professionals to understand the scope of information and data resources that exist throughout the organization.
The other side of the equation is managing who gets access to what, which is no easy feat.
5 Questions to Ask About Protecting Your Data,
Lang outlined a 5-part resource assessment that organizations can follow to establish access policies and secure data channels.
1. Where is the data? What is most at risk?
2. How should data be categorized to minimize risk?
3. How should access be established and enforced to ensure compliance?
4. How can application access be secured to minimize data loss?
5. How can data be protected anywhere it goes?
IT security professionals should take a leadership role in answering these questions, as well as applying the technology solutions to which they point. By doing that, they can help to streamline secure business processes, so that it becomes an enabler instead of an inhibitor to the organization s agility.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson
- Janet Yellen's Assets Grew by 8 Percent in 2013