National statistics show that farming is one of the most dangerous occupations in America.
Over the past 50 years, more than 900 cases of grain engulfment have been reported--and the fatality rate is 62 percent. With a 10-inch auger, it takes just 25 seconds for a 6-foot person to be completely buried in grain.
"Grain bin safety is so important because we are always going to store grain," said Woolen. "Equipment has improved dramatically. More options are available to monitor grain condition which is the biggest factor in grain bin accidents. However, there will always be times when it is necessary to enter a bin."
Woollen said that when farmers have to enter a bin, they need to know the proper procedure and follow it.
When working around grain bins, here are safety tips to keep in mind when you are taking a second for safety.
* Use inspection holes or grain level markers to understand what's happening inside the bin. Use a pole from outside the bin to break up grain bridges.
* You should enter a grain bin only if absolutely necessary. If you must get into the bin, use a body harness secured to the outside of the bin. Have at least two people watching over you as you enter and work inside the bin.
* Use hand signals to communicate--and make sure everyone you're working with knows what those signals are.
These safety strategies and more will be emphasized at two free Grain Engulfment Rescue Training workshops this July sponsored in part by
The grain engulfment rescue training is intended for industry personnel that actively work in the grain and commodities industry as well as fire fighter emergency rescue personnel who might be called to an engulfment rescue.
"Last year, I attended a training seminar in
The Nebraska Corn Board's market development, research, promotion and education programs are funded and managed by
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006