Science & Technology Desk
ProstaSeed 125I brachytherapy source was simulated using MCNPX code.
Dose enhancement factors (DEFs) were calculated for Fe2O3, Ag, Gd, Pt and Au nanoparticles with different concentrations.
No general trend in DEF with an increasing concentration of nanoparticles was observed. However, DEF was highest for 30 mg/ml concentration of Au.
The presence of nanoparticles in a prostate tumor increases the dose inside tumor and decreases the dose outside it and the treatment time can be decreased due to dose enhancement.
Results of the research showed that nanoparticles can be a useful tool in prostate brachytherapy.
Au nanoparticles of higher concentrations can be more useful for this purpose when compared to other nanoparticles.
Typically, one runs simulations many times over to obtain the distribution of an unknown probabilistic entity.
Brachytherapy, also known as internal radiotherapy, is a form of radiotherapy where a radiation source is placed inside or next to the area requiring treatment. It is commonly used as an effective treatment for cervical, prostate, breast and skin cancer, and can also be used to treat tumors in many other body sites.
Iranians help expedite prostate brachytherapy
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation
- Ford Tremor: Easy to Park, Hard to Pay For
- What Hamas and Israel Hope to Gain in Gaza
- Notorious RBG Tells All in Couric Interview
- House GOP Leaders Abandon Immigrant Bill
- Why Samsung Shares Plunged in the April-June Quarter
- NASA Plans to Make Oxygen on Mars
- Market Loses All of July's Gains in One Day
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Voter IDs Must Be Free