Science & Technology Desk
ProstaSeed 125I brachytherapy source was simulated using MCNPX code.
Dose enhancement factors (DEFs) were calculated for Fe2O3, Ag, Gd, Pt and Au nanoparticles with different concentrations.
No general trend in DEF with an increasing concentration of nanoparticles was observed. However, DEF was highest for 30 mg/ml concentration of Au.
The presence of nanoparticles in a prostate tumor increases the dose inside tumor and decreases the dose outside it and the treatment time can be decreased due to dose enhancement.
Results of the research showed that nanoparticles can be a useful tool in prostate brachytherapy.
Au nanoparticles of higher concentrations can be more useful for this purpose when compared to other nanoparticles.
Typically, one runs simulations many times over to obtain the distribution of an unknown probabilistic entity.
Brachytherapy, also known as internal radiotherapy, is a form of radiotherapy where a radiation source is placed inside or next to the area requiring treatment. It is commonly used as an effective treatment for cervical, prostate, breast and skin cancer, and can also be used to treat tumors in many other body sites.
Iranians help expedite prostate brachytherapy
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype