The balance of payment data showed that the current account deficit narrowed to
Gross fixed capital formation increased
The pound fell to a 2-week low of 172.51 against the yen, from an early high of 173.17, and held steady thereafter.
Nationwide consumer prices in
On a monthly basis, overall inflation and core CPI both added 0.4%.
Against the euro, the pound dropped to 0.7992 from an early high of 0.8004 and held steady thereafter. The pair was quoted at 0.7985 at yesterday's close.
Eurozone economic confidence weakened unexpectedly in June from a 34-month high in May, survey results from
The economic sentiment index fell to 102 in June from revised 102.6 in May. It was forecast to rise to 103. The decline resulted from a deterioration in industry, construction and, to a lesser extent, consumer confidence.
Moving away from an early multi-day high of 1.7050 against the US dollar, the pound fell to 1.7013 held steady thereafter. The pair closed yesterday's deals at 1.7022.
The pound recovered to 1.5215 against the Swiss franc, from an early low of 1.5156. The pound was trading at 1.5204 against the franc at yesterday's close. If the pound extends its uptrend, it is likely to find resistance around the 1.53 area.
A measure of the future situation in the Swiss economy rose in June after three straight months of decline, figures from the Swiss Economic Institute KOF showed.
The KOF economic barometer rose to 100.4 in June, more than the consensus estimate of 100. In May, the indicator was at 100.1, revised up from 99.8.
Looking ahead, German preliminary CPI for June is set for release at
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya