Royal Bank of
In a presentation to City analysts,
A year ago RBS had said the upgrade would cost pounds 750m, but it is now increasing the amount of investment that it is prepared to make.
RBS has 1,900 branches; already 315 of those are to be spun off into Williams & Glyn branches to comply with an instruction from the EU at the time of RBS's pounds 45bn taxpayer bailout.
When asked about the number of branches the 81% taxpayer-owned bank would end up with, he said: "Not the number we have today."
Matheson said 40% of transactions were now being conducted through mobile means and use of online and mobile technology had risen 200% in three years.
Although branches are to close, more than 400 are to be upgraded to include iPads and free Wi-Fi - an approach that rivals such as
More cash machines are to be put in railway stations, and more machines through which deposits can be made will be put into branches.
RBS shares were up 0.7% at 327p, but below the 500p average price paid by the taxpayer for its stake.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays