Market participants are expecting the financial stability officials to take appropriate action to cool surging home prices that could pose a threat to the economy. Carney's speech will also be in focus for clues about bank's interest rate hike in future.
The pound advanced to 2-day highs of 1.7022 against the greenback, 1.5205 versus the franc and 0.7997 against the euro, from early lows of 1.6970, 1.5149 and 1.8031,respectively.
The pound rose to a session's high of 173.19 against the yen, from early near 2-week low of 172.69.
If the pound extends gain, it is likely to find resistance around 1.72 against the greenback, 174.00 against the yen, 1.53 against the franc and 0.79 against the euro.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Boehner Says Impeachment Talk Is Democrat Scam
- You're So Vain: Microsoft to Launch First 'Selfie Phone'
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow for 6th Month in a Row
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Merck Profit More Than Doubles in Q2
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly