stocks fell 1 percent yesterday, led by
Thousands of miners downed tools at Amplats,
"A lot of talk has come out about the real cost of the strike, the reality of the whole thing," said
"There could be retrenchments, which will cause volatility, and we are seeing the impact of that on the shares."
Amplats shares fell 6.16 percent to R457, making it the biggest decliner on the day, while Implats was down 4.05 percent to R109.37.
The JSE Top-40 index ended down 1.06 percent at 45 383 and the broader All-share index also gave up 1.06 percent to 50 350.
Declining shares outnumbered gainers - 234 to 101. - Reuters
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Chrysler and Google Launch Virtual Plant Tour
- Perry Wants to Skip Court for Foreign Trip
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Iran Digs in on Underground Nuclear Site
- Hispanic Designer Honored As Rising Star