The early weakness on
However, the concerns about the economy waned over the course of the session, as the spending data was thought of as an outlier amid mostly positive reports.
Reflecting the recovery by the broader markets, most of the major sectors ended the day showing only modest moves after coming under pressure in early trading.
While some weakness remained visible among electronic storage and tobacco stocks, the NYSE Arca Disk Drive Index and the NYSE Arca Tobacco Index closed well off their worst levels of the day.
Meanwhile, gold, steel, and oil service stocks moved to the upside over the course of the session, contributing to the rebound.
While the Dow ended the session down 21.38 points or 0.1% to 16,846.13, the Nasdaq dipped 0.71 points or less than a tenth of a % to 4,379.05 and the S&P 500 slipped 2.31 points or 0.1% to 1,957.22.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006