Optical infrastructure is fundamental to telecommunications. Within less than half a century, the optical transport industry has migrated from PDH, through SDH, WDM, to OTN-based coherent 100G WDM, boosting network speeds from megabit-level to terabit-level performance and progressing from pure manual network configuration and management to modest levels of automation.
The emergence of new services, such as cloud computing, streaming media, and mobile broadband, calls for higher-capacity and smarter optical networks. As next-generation optical network architecture,
Resilient ultra-large pipes, which support flex-optical layer, flex-electrical layer, and flex-capacity technologies, are expected to carry high, fluctuating volume of traffic. The Flex-optical layer, also named Flex-Grid, can effectively improve spectral efficiency, while the Flex-electrical layer adopts Nx100G based Flex-OTN architecture, allowing for flexible service switching and multiplexing within large-capacity pipes. Using powerful signal modulation technologies, flex-capacity can achieve on-demand transmission capacity or distance.
Efficient multi-layer synergy includes cross-layer IP and optical synergy, cross-domain management of NE groups, and per-NE based wavelength-OTN-Ethernet synergy (synergy across Layer 0, Layer 1, and Layer 2). The multi-layer synergy empowers a smart policy engine to improve the overall pipe efficiency. The per-bit delivery cost can vary with each pipe layer, and this synergy offers the most cost-effective traffic control.
The aforementioned resiliency and efficiency are made possible through SDN. In addition, SDN builds an open network for bandwidth monetization and effectively reduces the cost per bit through efficient network O&M.
As a pioneer in the optical transport field,
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Hope Solo Sets Shutout Record in US Rout of Mexico
- Hurdles for Obama Health Law in Second Enrollment Season
- Etsy Says 'No' to Redskins Logo, Name
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Sneak Peek: A Roundup of 2015 New Models