Persisting concern over below-average monsoon and the likely effect on food-grain prices also kept investors in a jittery mood, said equity dealers.
Shares from refinery, capital goods, banking and FMCG segments were in demand while from auto, pharma, realty and consumer durables attracted profit-booking.
Gains were noticed in Sensex-based counters like SBI,
The BSE 30-share barometer resumed better and initially touched a high of 25,427.80. Later, it fell back and was trapped in a narrow range for sometime. It finally ended at 25,313.74, a net fall of 55.16 points or 0.22 per cent.
On Tuesday, it had spurted by 337.58 points, or 1.35 per cent, to end one-week high on easing global crude oil prices.
The wide-based 50-issue CNX Nifty of the NSE also eased by 10.95 points, or 0.14 per cent, to end at 7,569.25. Automobile stocks caught buyers' fancy at the fag-end after government extended excise duty concessions by 6 months.
Rebels launched a dawn raid yesterday on a key Iraqi oil refinery they have been trying to take for days but were repelled by security forces. US benchmark West Texas Intermediate rose
Asian stocks closed lower due t escalating violence in
The rupee yesterday reversed early losses and ended up one paisa higher at 60.12 against
At the Interbank Foreign Exchange (
Lacklustre trade on the local equity markets also weighed on the rupee. The rupee later bounced back to settle at the day's high of 60.12 on late dollar selling by exporters.
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Senate, House Locking Horns on Border Funds
- LinkedIn to Buy Ad Tech Company Bizo for $175 Million
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland
- Jeter, Bauer Give Fox a Strong Week in TV Ratings