Despite the modest strength being shown by the broader markets, most of the major sectors are showing only modest moves in mid-day trading,
Gold stocks are seeing some strength on the day, however, with the NYSE Arca Gold Bugs Index up by 1%. The index is regaining some ground after plunging by 3% on Tuesday.
The rebound by gold stocks comes amid a modest increase by the price of the precious metal, with gold for August delivery rising
Natural gas, chemical, and healthcare stocks are also seeing some strength on the day, while oil stocks are pulling back further off their recent highs.
The major averages have pulled back off their highs for the session but are currently holding on to modest gains. The Dow is up 23.60 points or 0.1% at 16,841.73, the Nasdaq is up 9.66 points or 0.2% at 4,360.01 and the S&P 500 is up 4.11 points or 0.2% at 1,954.09.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures