"As an artist who will always consider
The assembly voted 41-0, with 11 abstentions, on
"I am writing to urge you to protect the animals and the public via the approval of this bill," Del Castillo, who is known for her role in the telenovela "
The actress is backing the efforts of
There is sufficient evidence that animals are often "beaten to force them to perform painful tricks" in circus acts, Del Castillo said.
"Please do the right thing and turn this bill into a law," the actress said.
Del Castillo's letter was accompanied by a video in which she spoke about the abuse suffered by some animals.
The legislation would take effect one year after its publication in the
Some circus owners may put their animals up for adoption,
The law prohibits circuses from presenting, selling or using live animals as lottery prizes or in games, as well as using animals "for the taking of photographs or any other related activity."
The ban applies only to circuses and will not affect dolphin shows, theater companies, bullfights and other kinds of animal shows.
Violators will be subject to seizure of their animals and fines of more than
Similar legislation has been proposed in the states of
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays