The Internet company is racing against rivals such as
"It's a land grab," said
"New platforms offer new opportunities for hardware sales, advertising sales, e-commerce sales, all of these," Sinha said.
Google's free Android software is used in more than three out of every four smartphones sold globally, providing
Google is expected to provide an update on its plans to integrate Android into automobiles, making it easier for drivers and passengers to access navigation and entertainment features available on their smartphones, according to a person familiar with the matter.
The company could also unveil a new service that tracks a user's health and personal fitness information, similar to recently introduced services from
A Google spokeswoman declined to comment on any of the conference's potential announcements.
Among the events aimed at developers during the conference at
There will also be sessions focused on
Google may also showcase a version of Android designed for televisions, according to technology blog The Verge. A TV version of Android would come four years after Google's first effort to enter the living room, Google TV, failed to catch on with consumers.
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment